Typically, online teaching is conducted using a laptop equipped with a built-in webcam and a headset with an integrated microphone. However, some platforms permit teaching through a mobile operating system on a phone, such as Palfish and Cambly. Although many educators appreciate the flexibility of using a phone for teaching, using a tablet as an alternative is often more practical.
Advantages of Using a Tablet over a Smartphone
Compared to a smartphone, a tablet offers several advantages. Since both devices operate on the same Android or iOS platform, purchasing a tablet makes practical sense. In addition to serving as an electronic notebook and multimedia device, tablets provide significant benefits to online teachers.
- Larger Screen
Tablets come in various sizes, ranging from a 7-inch mini-tablet to a large 12-inch screen aimed at professionals. Regardless of size, tablets offer a much larger screen than phones, making classes more manageable and enjoyable for everyone. With more viewing space, conducting the class becomes easier as tablets come with a touch screen and a stylus.
- Better Battery
Life Tablets typically last longer on a single charge than phones due to their bigger built-in batteries. This makes teaching with a fully charged tablet a fun and straightforward experience, without having to worry about the battery running out or dealing with a complicated setup of charging your phone and using headphones while teaching simultaneously.
- Lightweight and mobile
Lightweight and Portable Tablets are lightweight and portable devices that you can easily carry in a backpack or purse. They are thin and take up minimal space, making them ideal for on-the-go use. Additionally, you can enhance their functionality by pairing them with an external keyboard.
Top 6 Tablets Recommended for Online Teachers.
When shopping for a tablet, there are a few things to consider. Firstly, the operating system – apps are only compatible with either Android or iOS, so ensure the tablet runs on one of these two systems.
Secondly, check the front-facing camera. While most tablets have an excellent rear camera, their front-facing camera may not be as good. Aim for a front-facing camera with at least 2 MP resolution. Here are our recommended tablets for online teaching on platforms like Palfish:
- Apple iPad Air
- Microsoft Surface
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
- Apple iPad Pro
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 8″
- Apple iPad Mini
Apple iPad Air – The Top-Ranked Tablet Overall
Apple iPad Air – The Best Tablet for Teachers While many other companies have moved on from creating tablets, Apple continues to produce and update its tablet line. From our usage, the iPad Air stands out as the best overall tablet for teachers. It’s not only compatible with various apps and software for online teaching, but it also performs well when recording screen captures and videos, thanks to its powerful hardware.
Lightweight and fast, the iPad Air is a teacher’s favorite device with an excellent front-facing camera. If you haven’t experienced the iPad Air, you’re missing out. Apple is one of the only companies producing high-quality tablets for both work and play, besides Samsung.
The iPad Air is ideal for teaching English online with Palfish or any other app-based company because it has three essentials – a fast processor, an excellent touch screen, and a good front-facing camera.
- Perfect size for a tablet, more square in shape than the Tab A, and slightly smaller.
- Lightweight and easy to carry in your tote bag or backpack.
- Access to the Apple Store.
- Apple products are more expensive, but they provide quality for the price.
- Has a 1.2 MP front-facing camera, which may be a deal-breaker for some.
- No multi-tasking; the camera turns off when you switch away from an app.
Microsoft Surface 8 – The Versatile Hybrid Option with a 13″ Screen
The Microsoft Surface 12.3 is a powerful device that can function as both a tablet and a laptop, making it an ideal choice for those who need a device that is more advanced than a basic tablet. With an integrated webcam, pen, and decent audio, this hybrid Surface tablet can handle pretty much anything you throw at it.
While the keyboard is not included, we highly recommend it to get the most out of this hybrid setup. Additionally, some online teaching platforms may not be compatible with Android OS, but the Surface allows you to access Windows 10, making it compatible with any software.
- Combines the portability of a tablet with the power of a laptop.
- Runs full Windows 10 instead of Android operating system.
- Features a touch screen for tablet-like functionality.
- Accessories such as the keyboard and stylus are expensive and not included.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 – Large and Stunning Display
Samsung is a popular brand that provides a solid alternative to Apple’s iPad. The Galaxy Tab A8 is a favorite for several reasons. First, it features a 10.5-inch screen, making it the ideal size for a tablet, larger than a phone but smaller than a laptop and just as portable.
In addition, the tablet’s display is gorgeous, with bright and vibrant colors. It also runs on Android’s latest and most up-to-date version. Finally, this tablet comes at an affordable price point.
- 8 MP front-facing camera, perfect for online teaching.
- Great battery life.
- Beautiful 10-inch screen for online teaching and learning.
- It comes pre-loaded with a lot of bloatware.
The Apple iPad Pro 12.9” – The Ultimate Professional Tablet
The iPad Pro is a top-of-the-line tablet that is designed for professional-level work, especially in the creative field. Although it may be excessive for most users, it’s the best premium tablet on the market.
One of the standout features is its impressive 7 MP front-facing camera, which is more than adequate for online teaching. It also boasts the largest and best screen, along with the most powerful processor on the list.
The tablet is lightning-fast, highly responsive, and can handle multiple applications simultaneously. As it’s marketed and designed for professional use, it can function as a laptop replacement.
- Powerful processor that can handle advanced applications, such as video editing.
- Sleek and lightweight design.
- Excellent front-facing camera, which is essential for online teaching.
- Comes with a stylus.
- Attractive design.
- No headphone jack; you need to use AirPods.
- The stylus attaches magnetically.
- No multi-tasking when switching away from an app, which can be inconvenient for some users. This is not an issue on Android devices.
- Top 5 Productivity Apps for Mac to Boost Your Efficiency in 2023 - April 10, 2023
- Discover the Top 15 Productivity Apps for Work and Study in 2023 - April 9, 2023
- Microsoft Word 2023 Crack & Product Key Download - April 8, 2023